Friday, March 18, 2022

Raveling Back

When there's a pile of unraveled yarn or thread in my project basket, it means my mind has not been able to focus on what I'm doing. Life has been uncertain, ideas are running in and out of my brain, I'm mulling over plans, hopes, and needs and haven't found any answers. 

So there have been a number of unraveled projects in my basket recently.

Not sure if this is my mind or a knitting project.

Then a conversation with a friend and a simple suggestion about just doing what needs to be done put everything into perspective and I got my act together and re-instated my ticket. I'll fly out of Durham, NC on Sat morning. I'm feeling a little more focused.

Michael and I drove to Durham on Tuesday for his most-of-the-day appointments at the Duke Brain Cancer Center. Even as I was booking my tickets I wondered what the test results and doctor consultations would reveal and if I'd have to change my plans. There hasn't really been anything to indicate that we'd hear something unexpected, but, well, you know ... that worry is always there.

If someone was looking at his MRI and bloodwork with no knowledge of the history, they'd wonder what any one is worried about! Once again, God has kept the miracle going. Michael's got a beautiful brain and his bloodwork shows no damage from the monthly chemo. So the monthly chemo at the envelope-pushing levels continues and we continue to be overwhelmed by God's grace and kindness to us. 

And I just got a negative covid test, so tomorrow morning I'll get on a plane in Durham and fly to Washington, DC where I'll get on the Ethiopian Airline flight to Addis Ababa. 

I'll have enough time to finish a whole sock.   

After a couple days in Addis I'll fly to Gambella where I'll spend most of the next four weeks. 

And what will I do there? That is the question.

My priority is to deal with the stuff we left there. It's not a lot, but decisions need to be made. 

Between sorting, thinking, and disposing of, I will be visiting with friends and colleagues and discussing ways that I can be involved with the ongoing work of the church in Gambella. 

The first thing I'll be doing, though, is taking a road trip out to the edge of Ethiopia to participate in the West Gambella Bethel Synod yearly convention, where the leaders from all the presbyteries come together for business and fellowship. It is always held on the grounds of one of the synods. The Youth usually put up shelters - one for each presbytery - to be used to keep stuff in and to sleep in for those who want more protection than a mosquito net. I'm hoping to find the small tent Michael and I left. Or else I'll get a mosquito net.

This is one of the gatherings I look forward to. There is always so much joy and delight. Lots of singing. Sometimes there is a fight - when church leaders don't agree - but laughter is most common. 

I hope I'll be able to have a strong enough internet connection to keep you updated more frequently than usual. 

I am sad that, for the first time, Michael and I won't be returning to Ethiopia together. But I'm glad that, at the end of my trip, I'll be returning home for the first time ever. Now to figure out how to live in my two homes at the same time.

Thanks for your accompaniment. Thanks for the prayers. 

8 comments:

  1. Have a great trip. I hope it’s full of connection, serendipity, blessing and joy. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write well. It makes me glad that you will be in Ethiopia, Rachel. Blessings on you and your trip, and for Michael, always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for your news about Michael and your upcoming journey. I can't wait to see and hear about your trip. Go with God, my friend. Blessings for your journey. I only wish I was going with you. Maybe next trip ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update, Rachel. So happy to hear Michael's status. Hope you have a great trip and safe/easy travels. We love you and Michael very much.
    -Will & Amber Gipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a safe trip. Thankful for Michael's recovering so nicely.

    We appreciate your keeping with us.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a safe trip. So thankful for Michael's continued recovery.
    We appreciate your keeping us updated on your comings and goings.
    God bless you!
    Love Concord Congregation Rose Aden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safe travele and we are so grateful for the health report on Michael. Judy and Richard Crawford, Santa Fe

    ReplyDelete