Sunday, July 25, 2021

It's the First Day of the Rest of Your Life. Have a Good Day

He took a few weeks off and went back to work.

 

We went to the doctor for the post-op visit. Michael had a tumor taken out of his brain, and this was two weeks later. No one had really told us clearly what it was we were dealing with. The doctor was cordial enough, but he's a neuro surgeon. Ask him a question; he'll answer it - factually, statistically, from everything he has read. Michael said, "What's the prognosis?" He responded, "18 to 24 months". 

We left. I burst into tears. And then we went to buy some plants. 

As we left the store with our purchases, the cashier cheerfully said, "Have a good day!" And I thought, "Right. Today is the first day of the rest of our life together. Have a good day."

Driving home, all I could think was 18 to 24 months. Have a good day! 18 to 24 months. Have a good day. 18 to 24 months, Have a good ... 

Today we are several weeks later. I have had several tearful days, where I just want to hold on to Michael's arm, to touch him, to be wrapped in his embrace. He's recovering from surgery; he sleeps a lot. He's taking anti-seizure medicine; he sleeps a lot. What was removed from his head left him with a lot of heavy thoughts in there. 


Michael is quiet. He has work to do, sermons and services to prepare. His work requires a lot of thinking about things to share publicly. These days he has other thoughts that remain mostly private. I know he contemplates his losses - experiences he won't have, relationships he won't have time for, adult children he'll miss engaging in conversation, activities that will be limited, curtailed, out of reach. He thinks about God, who loves him, draws him near, embraces him. He keeps on working.

We were advised to get a second opinion at Duke University Brain Cancer Research Center. We did that. They were great. After about five hours, we had talked to a nurse several times, a PA, someone who deals with money, and a doctor, a neuro oncologist. The first thing they told us was, "Don't google it" (gliobalstoma, that is). Yeah, well - too late. Their point, however, is even though there is no cure, and the timeline seems pretty short, there are anomalies; there are those who don't follow the rules. While they were realistic, they also encouraged us to live each day well. "Don't be a couch potato," said Nurse Nancy. And that is our hope. We hope that each day that Michael has to share with us will be the best day possible. We hope that the treatments ahead will bring more days and more good days. And we Hope. 

Another line runs through my head, "For me to live is Christ, to die is gain." What a Hope! We have Hope. We have hope that God will bear us up, that God will be our life, that God will draw us to him. The Creator of the Universe wants us, Michael and me, to be with him today and always! The Creator of the Universe, who clothes the sparrows, who cultivates soil for us to grow in, who bears our grief, carries our sorrows has always been faithful. That is the Hope that we cling to. 

And that is the Hope that allows us, all of us ... you're invited, too ... to Have a Good Day! 




Writing makes things clear for me. I plan to write my way through this journey. You are welcome to join me. I Hope we will have lots of Good Days together.

35 comments:

  1. Prayer! We are with you in spirit! Want to follow your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, Rachel. We hope to share some of this journey with you - the tears and the praises. Love you both. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate prognosis - everyone wants to know what theirs is - but it will either give hope or take away hope. Keep positive thoughts - don’t think about that prognosis. Life your lives like you have 20 years or more left and keep the faith. Only God knows Michael’s number of days. Love you both and hoping and praying for the best outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written, Rachel! What a good reminder of the deep love God has for us, and the way He holds us through good times and hard times. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, this was an encouragement to me today. Praying for you both. Suz Noch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your heart and mindset as well as your experience, Rachel. We love you guys and pray for God's presence to heal and to encourage you both throughout this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rachel - thank you for sharing. You and Michael are people I look up to and who's examplary life I want to follow... and after reading this I can not help but cry with you. But I know you are in God's embrace both you and Michale and for this I thank our Almighty Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so sorry and will continue praying for your family. God has a plan and sometimes hard to accept. Hope is all we have. God bless you and God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will be roving with you, Rachel and Michael….and wrapping you in prayer.. Sue Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel and Michael thank you for sharing this very hard news. I'm so sorry for this diagnosis and struggle you have. I have you in my prayers and share your confidence in our God who wants us now and forever and who will never let us go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers to Michael, and you, for this journey and for healing. May you find repeated comfort in God's nearness and firm grip. I know you have much experience in journeys to tough places and have lived there. You have blessed me in seeing that and pray it helps you now - though the water is deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for allowing us to share your journey. May the Lord draw you near and may you feel His gentle embrace.

    Eileen Lass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have seen this on FB. You were on my email list, but it bounced back today. lassgamer followed by a bunch of numbers? Or maybe this just works.
      Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  12. Dear Rachel - thank you a lot for your words and for the courage to share them.
    I'm so sad to hear that but full of admiration how you're dealing with this situation.

    I like Nurse Nancy! "Don't be a couch potatoe!" Right she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you! Yes, I like Nurse Nancy, too! We took our dog, Gabi, for a walk in the woods this morning.

      Delete
  13. Rachel and Michael -- I am the pastor at your mom and dad's former church in Franklin. Our heart goes out to both of you. May God bless you with endless moments of joy and grace in your time together. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear wonderful Rachel. Your writing is deepening my faith. My heart is breaking with this news but also swelling with the spiritual love your are sharing. I will be following your messages, Michael's journey, and your work together as a beloved team. You will be in my prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love you both. Thank you for sharing.

    -Will and Amber Gipe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Believing that our Lord would be using you and Michael in a mighty way here in these mountains, I see you surrounded by His light and strengthening touch. This is the same light that you bring to us who know you. Praying and enjoying one day at a time with you. Much love, Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Rachel and Michael -- I have not stopped praying for you since I learned the news... There is a team here focused on you both. I can't imagine what it is like to walk through this - but as is obvious from your own writing, and from all the responses here you are NOT alone - and never will be. Thank you so much for sharing this hard journey. Much much love,
    Caryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caryl. I sit outside in the mornings and talk to God. When it is cool, I wrap up in the beautiful shawl. Thank the pray-ers for me.

      Delete
  18. Jack and I are praying for you. Oh the brevity of life! I can't imagine how hard this must be but I do know we have a Savior who is touched with our infirmities and He will hold your hand thru this journey. God is so faithful! Jack would like to come visit you. We don't have your phone # or address so maybe you could email or "pm" me on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing your reflections on this journey. They are beautiful, just like both of you! We are praying for you often, and know that God is present with you and will guide you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have no words Rachel. I am in tears as I read through this blog. Yet thought about hope and peace. The Peace that surpasses ALL understandings comes from God. I pray that the Lord God give you peace and hope. May God hold Michael tight to His loving heart and comfort him inaudibly. Know that you're loved by many and mostly the Gambella people and your friends from Dembi Dolo of Ethiopia. Continue living life of hope and everlasting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Continued prayers for all! I know you guys are in good hands! Hugs!

    Terry and Kamila

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are praying for you in Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I met Michael years ago in Ethiopia on a mission trip. He was so knowledgeable and compassionate in his work there and I'll never forget him. Praying for you both and your family.
    Rev Janet Abel

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Michael and Rachel, prayers from Ginger and me for God's love to amaze you each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are on our congregation’s prayer list and the Lord will hear about you through these good folks! Our love always, Rob and Ginger Hinman

      Delete
  25. REV... So, so sorry to hear this news! I think back on the times our families have spent together over the years and have to smile... and give thanks! Praying for peace and a keen awareness of the Lord's presence and love. The words "His grace is sufficient for me" come to my mind in difficult moments. I pray that is so for you and Michael and family. Our love to you both! Mike and Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  26. Much love and many prayers from me and the New Wilmington Presbyterian Church. You are cherished as ambassadors for Christ. May you continue to find comfort and strength from Him in this journey. Sue Anne

    ReplyDelete